Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rare Delicacies

There is a Chinese saying ‘A chinaman will eat any living thing as long as the back faces the sky’. I guess the only animal’s back that doesn’t face the sky would be a dead decaying animal which is laying on its back rotting away. I am very sure it’s true because people really do eat weird things from lizards to creepy stuffs.

Thanks to Seki and Benji’s trip to Cambodia I managed to get my hand on some snacks that I have been dying to try. I think to most civilized modern city slickers like us would not even imagine how wonderful other food are besides the staple beef, chicken, seafood, mutton lamb…etc. WARNING! Read on at your own risk.
Meet Pinocchio's guardian angel Jiminy Cricket! "Stop lying Pinocchio or your dick will grow long" Ohh shuddup already come here you lil irritating bastard!! Munch!!! Munch!!! BURP! Yummy.A stupid gwailo will tell you it taste just like chicken, frankly speaking its damn darn good!! I couldnt stop eating it taste like fried anchovies salty and crunchy. Apparently this is the hottest selling snack in Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam. GOOD SHITE!! Jiminy gets 5 stars out of 5 no wonder my pet arowana loves it so much. If you do wanna try this out please remove the 2 back legs before putting it into your mouth its hard and prickly.


Asian farmers have learnt to control their crops from devastating locust by frying them in spicy oil. Gwailos should learn this from them as these hoppers are rich in protein. It pretty much taste the same as the cricket except this is 3 times larger and has a harder exoskeleton. $1 rates 3.5 stars for the locust.






Why bother popping Methylenedioxymethamphetamine(MDMA) aka Ecstasies to get high? May I suggest popping these healthier Silkworms, they are so much cheaper I think 1 MDMA pill can set you off from 1-2 jugs of beer which will also get you high! The same amount you pay for a MDMA can also get you 1 year supply of Silkworms. Cant rate this worm cause I dont like it, it's neither tasty or nasty. The texture reminds me of eating soft cooked soy beans. Lets move on to the final creepy crawly.

I specifically ordered this before they left for Cambodia, its the nastiest looking crawler I ever put in my mouth. Watched a Tarantula documentary on Animal Planet and they showed the Amazonian natives eating this and latter use the fangs as toothpicks. Unfortunately this spider's fangs has been removed. I expected they would remove the hairs on the body before frying them, but there were quite alot of hairs all over the legs. Tarantulas are vicious arachnids equipped with venom to dissolve they prey into soup for sucking and hairs that are highly sharp to avoid predators. They flick their body hairs into the air towards their predator's nostrils & eyes causing severe pain and irritation. Yet the mighty tarantula ended up in my tummy. BURP!!! Despite the nasty looks its actually not too bad. If can eat soft shell crabs, you can eat tarantulas. The texture is the same slightly crunchy and chewy, all these crawlers taste the same as they're fried in the same spicy oil. Would rate this a 4 star out of 5.
I didnt pose for the camera with those incests hanging in my mouth for the sake of this blog, I ATE all of it. I'm bitch but I aint a pussy. Conclusion, be adventurous with food cause you only live once. My motto is "Eat now, worry later". Ciao!







4 comments:

Cheryl said...

The crickets do look somewhat yummy.... that was before i saw

OMGTHAT'SAFREAKINGSPIDER
BLEARHGBLEARGHBLEARGHEWWW!


*shudder.
So tell me, did it slide down your throat or walked in on it's own?

Allan Chow said...

WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!! hahhaa. THats crazy yO!!!!

Anonymous said...

imagine this scenario, the spider wasnt 'killed', preserved, 'cooked' or whatever manner it's supposed to be prepared. spider eggs are pretty much alive but dormant in it's body. and when u swallow it down later, eggs get to your stomach. and better still, it withstands stomach acid, and starts hatching tarantula babies in there. you'll be the very first TARANTULA MAN but cannot swing or jump around due to some bitchin' back ache. maybe you can put up a fight with cicak man, what say you?

actually, i only wanted to say this.. FREAK!!

$1 said...

You guys should try it if you have the chance. YUMMY!!!
If i'm TarantulaMan, i'll be sucking cicak juices.