Monday, February 12, 2007

Aquahobby

Finally gave away my 3 lonely Polypterus fishes to another fish enthusiast back early November last year and the only thing left behind was my good old reliable 10 year old aquarium. I had to divert my hobby into something new, something challenging, something that will satisfy my ego with praises on the outcome.
I had few criteria to my new fish keeping hobby, it has to be something that I’ve not kept before from my childhood days till present and it has to fit comfortably tank.

My tank dimensions and specs are as below :

Length : 4 feet (120cm)
Width : 1.5 feet (45cm)
Height : 1.5 feet (45cm)
Thickness : 6mm

This tank has been with my family for a very long time, the last fish it was housing was my 20 inches Green Arowana. It wanted to die so badly, he decided to jump out of the tank one night while I was out for just 3 hours. Boohoo,… loved that fish a lot.

OK so I got an empty tank didn’t know what to do with it my dream Arowana is just way too expensive for me to buy right now the market price is fetching more than 5000 my bitching value. So I decided to go with Discus (Symphysodon aequifasciata) known to be one of the nicest and most colorful Amazonian fishes. Its also a very well known fish that will keep owners on your toes if they want super quality products for breeding. Requires daily water change to balance out the perfect water condition and chemistry, various foods on daily basis…. blah blah list goes on. More or less like the arowanas but cheaper and smaller in size and can breed in indoor tanks.

Malaysia held its first Aquatic fair in KLCC in mid November 2006, I went there to check out fishes and hopefully to get something cheap. Discus was cheap but my tank wasn’t ready to store anything, then the ADA booth caught my eye with their impressive planted tank. ADA is short for Aquatic Design Amano by Takashi Amano of Japan, he’s world renowned aquascaper now hosting and judging the International Aquatic Plants Layout Contest. The contest is world recognition and thousands of contestants participate every year. All I can say, all those damn planted tanks mesmerized me. Its very eye pleasing seeing all those greens and reds and browns plants swaying to the water current, fishes swimming like as if their in their own natural habitat. ZEN!!! That’s it for now,.. too lazy to post feeling sleepy in the office….. ZZZZzzzz too much movies to watch!! Be back for the tank setup, photosssss!!!

No comments: