Monday, May 28, 2007

$1 went to Niah Cave

Day 2 was rather dreadful and torturing but it was a great experience. We had breakfast in the hotel stuffing ourselves with calories knowing that it would be really helpful for our adventure. Too bad hotel only came with breakfast for 2 so poor Elisha had to go to the mall downstairs and she bought some sandwiches from Dave's deli. All packed with fluids and snacks and we're off to challenge Niah Cave, left our hotel close to noon. Journey to the cave took us about 1 hour with Zahir's skillful driving so instead of a 1.5hour journey we manage to get there in an hour flat. No speeding just plain KL driving at about 100km/h on average.

I went there a lil unprepared and as far as I know cave exploring will be smelly due to the bat/swallow's guano not forgetting the wet slippery ground. Silly me, I forgot caves are dark too and we didnt bring or purchase a torch light. Registered ourselves and paid MYR10 entrance fee to get to Niah cave, MYR1 boat ride per way across the river from the camp site/office.



See their happy faces, not knowing the torturous walk later.

Boat ride across a 30M river. Anyone could just swim across!

Let the adventurous journey begin. Samson was here.



Still walking!! Look nipah leaves for weaving.



Still not there yet!!


Jungle walk wasnt too bad actually, the path measures about 3.5KM to the cave entrance from the river bank. Right after the river bank, we passed a museum where we rented a torch light for MYR5. Our local government is doing a good job to preserving our national park, they're upgrading the path to concrete and slowly removing the old squeaky wooden planks. Finally after 1hour brisk walk, we made it to base of the hill where there were some local Iban native stalls selling handicrafts, souvenirs and drinks. Not too bad at all I was still breathing and I only finished a small 500ml bottle of mineral water, 3 litres more to go.



"Look here comes some suckers!!! Ahmoi come buy la"

After a short walk from the stalls, the flat path turns into scary high wooden bridges. You cant see the ground underneath your feet except trees and leaves. Not to mention that its wobbly at certain point, I LOVE IT!!! Felt like Indianna Jones! Never felt my home squeaky stairs more save.

Scary wooden stairs


Finally! Cave entrance rest house. These were built for the bird nest harvesters. Those visible long thingy at the back is not stalactite, its wooden sticks and PVC pipes tied together to reach the cave top for bird nest harvesting. Few hundreds of metres to the top! No wonder swallow's nest is so damn darn expensive its fucking hazardous job but someone has to do it. Rehydrate ourselves and squeeze dry my shirt. I might have weigh 2kilos lighter by now because I swear my sweat from my shirt could have filled a few cups. Fluid count : 2.5 litres left.


Ermmm,... helllooooo????? Echooo!!!! Into the cave! Niah cave has 3 parts : The Great Cave


2nd attraction of the cave is the Large Chamber where you will see most of the formations and light shafts. Stunning rock formation after thousands of year, but we werent admiring it. Our senses were more focused on the slippery surface and on the light spot from our torch lights. Mrs$1 was too busy taking pictures for me blog. Speaking of that, I'm just so glad I'm still here blogging about this. While were walking down some stairs in pitch black after the Large Chamber, I slipped and fell due to a broken wooded plank. God knows what might happen to me, maybe I'll break my leg or fall into the darkness and die.



I saw lights!!!! OMG!!! Go into the lights!!! I'm coming God!



We're greeted by greens once out of the Great cave and the Large Chambers. Zahir told us that it just a short stroll to the Painted cave. Zahir's making his 4th trip here at Niah cave.


Final destination, the painted cave. Hand squeezed my shirt twice here. Fluid lost surpass 2 litres. 1litre of drinks left. I hate my body cooling efficiency.



Modern cave men paintings on the walls. Took us 2 hours and 4.5KM to get to here and see this. Worthy? A bit of both I'd say. I'm just glad that its over and my shoes were killing my feet, I could feel blisters on my right toes and my damn left foot corns hurts like hell. More walking only means more pressure applied to these wounds.


Last view of the Great cave as we were leaving.


If I could only reach and break one piece down.

Overall it was quite a nice walk and the cool shady jungle paths were cooling even the sun was all out to roast us. If you guys ever wanna go to any caves in Malaysia please be prepare to get wet, dont dress up cause its going to be messy and dirty. Put on a pair of nice comfy shoes not sneakers they dont grip well in caves. Maybe a pair of Hi-tec, Timberland or Merrell hiking boots will be wonderful. Not much mosquitoes around and insect repellent wont work, it will be wash away by your dripping sweat. Bring lotsa lotsa drinking water, you may purchase them at the camp office or the Iban stalls and lastly never forget to bring torch lights. One may also bring your spare clothes and shower at the camp site, not nice to hop into people's car filthy. Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but puddle of sweat, butt print on the ground.

Couldnt wait to jump on the the hotel bed and rest my feet, I wanted to just camp at Niah and tell them to come and get me tomorrow.




No comments: